Make this quick and easy Creamy Ham and Pea Tortellini in one pot in just 30 minutes with Sara Lee® Honey Ham, sweet peas, and gooey cheese for a perfect weeknight meal the whole family will love!
Can you believe that it’s time to head back to school already? Summer just flew by. We’ve already started our Fall sports, and school is set to start in just a couple of weeks.
With three kids, all in different activities, we’ll be hustling and bustling all the way until Christmas! With so much to do, it can be hard to get dinner on the table, which is why I’m so excited to partner with Sara Lee® Premium Meats to share this quick, simple and absolutely delicious recipe today.
Back to School
Of course, with three kids in full day in school this year (Ah! My baby’s in kindergarten! 😭), we always have Sara Lee® Premium Meats in the fridge for school lunches.As a mom and foodie, I love Sara Lee® Premium Meats because they’re fresh, premium quality, and delicious at an affordable price.
Sara Lee® Honey Ham and Oven Roasted Turkey Breast are my kids’ favorite. They love them on simple sandwiches or rolled up with a slice for a super quick and yummy snack!
Today, I’m going to share one of our family favorite recipes, One Pot Creamy Ham and Pea Tortellini, made super simple and extra delicious with Sara Lee® Honey Ham.
The first time I made this recipe, my hubby (our picky eater in the house!) crinkled his nose when I told him what I was making. But after dinner, I found my husband back at the stove, eating the leftovers right out of the skillet! It’s a true crowd-pleaser and picky-eater approved!
Here’s why this One Pot Creamy Ham and Pea Tortellini rocks:
- It takes 30 minutes. No joke. There’s barely any prep. Just some onion slicing, garlic mincing, and cutting up the Sara Lee® Honey Ham into bite-sized bits.
- It’s all made in one pot. And that’s not a trick like some recipes where they say “one pot” but then list “cooked pasta” as an ingredient, which obviously means you had to use a different pot. No trickery here. It’s really truly all in just one pot.
- The flavor combination is amazing. Salty ham, sweet peas, and creamy cheese make the perfect sauce for warm tortellini. It really tastes even better than it sounds.
Step 1: Melt butter in a large skillet (or pot) over medium heat.
Step 2: Add the onion and half the Sara Lee® Honey Ham to the skillet. Sauté until tender, about 2 minutes.
Step 3: Add garlic, and sauté until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
Step 4: Stir in flour. Allow mixture to heat back up, about 2 minutes.
Step 5: Slowly add chicken broth, about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring between each addition, until all is added and fully combined. Bring mixture to a boil.
Step 6: Stir in tortellini and thyme and allow to simmer 4-5 minutes until tortellini is cooked through. Turn heat down (to medium), and allow boil to reduce to a slow simmer.
Step 7: Add cream, Mozzarella, and Parmesan and stir until smooth and creamy.
Step 8: Stir in remaining ham and peas. Continue stirring until totally heated through.
Serve warm topped with grated Parmesan and chopped parsley. Enjoy!
- Get your Sara Lee® Honey Ham sliced fresh at the deli to whatever thickness you desire. I asked for medium thickness. If you want bigger cubes in your pasta, you can ask for thick sliced. Or if you want thinner pieces, just ask for thin slices! So easy to get it exactly how you want it!
- What kind of tortellini should you use? I love using cheese tortellini because it’s mild and doesn’t cover up any of the other flavors in the dish. You could also use spinach or mushroom tortellini, though the flavors in these might be a little stronger.
- Be careful not to overcook the tortellini. Overcooked tortellini get super mushy and falls apart. So be sure to just cook it until it’s slightly under-cooked in step 7, which will allow it to cook the rest of the way as you finish up the recipe.
- Buy your peas in a steam bag to thaw them quickly. I just throw in the microwave for a minute less than the recommended cook time, then dump them all on a paper towel to quickly dry them.
- Feel free to add more cheese! If you love all things cheese, add a little extra. I love the mild creaminess from the Mozzarella and the slight bite from the Parmesan, but you can add different cheeses to your preferences. I think a little Swiss or Gouda would also be excellent!
Head to SaraLeeDeli.com for new recipes, how-to videos, meals, tips, entertaining ideas, meal hacks, and more!